Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Nurses


I’ve been meaning to write this for a few days, but haven’t really got to it or was kind of unsure what to say.

I bet being a cancer nurse is hard. We patients/survivors are so damn needy. I went to 6B the other day and it was great to see the nurses, but they were so busy saving lives it was hard to do little more than throw a hug their way as they ran from room-to-room juggling syringes, vials, and hand held computer things. All the while stopping for a precious second to say hi and to be encouraging.

One nurse told me they like to see patients come by after they’ve recovered. I don’t remember if she said it was because unlike cabinetmakers or artists they don’t often get to see the results of their craft. Hmmm? A curious thing.

I wonder if they know they become part of our families or if they try and put up a wall between them and us because some patients don’t make it. I bet it is a difficult dance to do, with a lot of heartache.

I worry they’ll get immune to it all. That after a while it somehow becomes somewhat mechanical. I just know I couldn’t do it. And I worry about them.

This probably came out all wrong, but it is what I was thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment