Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Tips 68, 69, 70 forgot to post them


Cancer tip 68 (Recovery) Stash some money away to cover federal income tax. This is one of those “Do as I say. Not as I do.” Tips. If your employer has a disability policy and you go out on short or long term disability, be advised some insurers DO NOT withhold income tax. I dropped the ball here and it cost me a bit of cash just as I was coming out of my cancer haze and returning to work. Even though most disability insurance is woefully inadequate to cover lost wages, the tax bill can be shockingly high.

Cancer tip 69 (recovery). Get in shape if you can. Referring to tip 66, Set up a plan to get yourself back in good enough shape to do the things you want to do. This can be ridiculously hard, but it’s gotta be done.  Want to go fishing and need to walk two miles to get you your fishing hole? Slowly work up to it. Important note – make sure platelets are sustained at 50,000 before you do anything too crazy. Although normal platelets are 150,000, I think we all threw normal out the window a while ago. Safe – for exercise – is 50,000. That’s what Lance Armstrong says – he’d never lie.

Cancer Tip 70 (recovery) Forgive yourself for the emotional outbursts you’re gonna have at work. This goes for caregivers too. When you go through this and return to work, you’re gonna realize that a lot of what you’re doing is pretty stupid.
I was on a conference call when I first got back and it went on for about 30 minutes too long as everyone tried to jockey for phone call supremacy. The big muckety-mucks asked if there were any question. I said, “Since it’s painfully obvious we’re done, can I hang up?” Another time a subordinate gave me a ration of shit and I resigned, luckily the secretary of labor talked me out of it. Another time I just broke down and cried. 

No comments:

Post a Comment