Thursday, January 19, 2012

naps, dogs and workouts


Good morning gang:

The more I do this the more I realize that recovering from Cancer is truly a community event and everyone who is involved whether expressing a vibe of concern or carting you to an appointment become stakeholders.

Yesterday when I went to the office the people there had a welcome back breakfast kind of thing for me. I was very touched.

Work itself is going okay and I’m not experiencing a whole lot of residual chemo side effect problems at the moment. I have a little chemo-brain, but it seems like most of the people my age have it too – so maybe I’m just an old goat. I am a bit fatigued by the end of my half-day schedule.  And that is kind of causing me to figure out how to best plot my day. The two things I must do every day are; Go to work and work out.

Here’s the rub. Yesterday when I got home I plopped down at about 1 p.m. for a quick nap and ended up investing 90 minutes in that. When I woke up it was 2:30 or so and I still hadn’t worked out, walked the dogs, or took care of a couple of other things I needed to accomplish. I rushed through my recumbent bike workout and dog walk so I could be done by 4 pm.

I have this gym membership at a facility near work I plan to use at lunchtimes when I go back to full schedule in mid-February, but in the meantime I am working out at home. Anyway I need to play with eliminating the naps – bit by bit – so I can last a whole workday (I won’t start this nap drawdown today for sure).

I think I’ll rearrange my schedule this way. I’ll work out as soon as I get home instead of napping first and see how the time and fatigue stacks up. I guess the learning point for me is to tinker with my after work schedule so I can meet my goals and still not stress myself out.

I guess that’s it for now.

See you all tomorrow,

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment