Friday, September 27, 2013

Angry tip #58


Cancer tip #58 – I lied I’m not talking records today. As you all have probably guessed my now I can be an opinionated meany especially as far as adult Burkitt’s patients are concerned. I need to be clear; I can only talk from my experience. Someone could easily infer, from the session I went to at the blood cancer conference, that patients should take chemo, lie in bed, and surrender to the world at large, while caregivers shoulder the load of every logistic issue small and large, ranging from nose wiping, to coordinating with health insurers. It makes my blood boil. Balderdash I say! Balderdash!
Again I can only speak for me and my experience, and remember I almost died from infection and blah, blah, blah. The main thing patients’ want is someone to hold their hands when needed and someone to bitch to. All of the stuff I’ve been talking about the adult patient can do early in the journey. He/she isn’t helpless. On the wall of the cancer support community where I go ever Tuesday night there is a picture of the founder and a quote that says patients have a much better chance of survival if they advocate for themselves (or something like that). Anyway, the point is, caregivers are not pack mules, or litter bearers. Patients have work to do to make the caregivers life easier. I guess that’s it – I don’t know where that cam

No comments:

Post a Comment